Skip to main content

Introduction Post







Approaching my first day of blogging I am excited to share some interesting adventures going on in my life.

Jay Watch is under way as I approach week 2 of my surveying.

For those that do not know, the only endemic (meaning found no where else on earth) species of bird found in the state of Florida is the Florida Scrub Jay.

The Jay is colored a slate or silvery grey and a deep cerulean. About 9-11 inches in height they boast a raspy call that spans their territory well.

The impressiveness of their call adds to the efficacy of their existence. It correlates with their habitat: a scrubby pine area. This eliminates all potential for sound carrying properties. The frequency and tone of their call: a raspy reep sound, clicking noises produced by females, and a plethora of territorial shrieks, lend in their ability to throw their voice.

Communication with other members of the family unit indicating feeding time, hierarchy, and danger are paramount to the success of the species. A family will utilize other "helper" adults to assist with rearing juveniles while the parents take care to watch for other needs, predators etc.
A family will stay in one location as long as it suits their needs, maybe why they are an endemic species.

Another culprit, harsh to admit, though reasonable to believe relative their endemic status could be man himself.  As development has increased across the Florida landscape, areas of scrub are under attack from development.

Truly, there has been no greater joy in my birding experience than the heated early mornings of late June feeling the wing beats around me and observing this magnificent specimen.

Written by Julia Wiggins


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Homage To My Faded Past

"My Gaga's Lignum Vitae Tree in bloom, Long Key, FL" Midnight crawling, whiskey on my breath;Simonton intersects Duval to wait on a cab. Rhythms mingle, passing each soulful drunken bar while my eyes linger. Flung back, a 15 me sees the fabrics factory, a white boat of a Cadillac, and cassette tapes for crusin. A woman: 80’s tortoise sunglasses, freckled skin, a grin; hair windswept, an auburn caramel; Shorts fitted an hourglass figure; Blouse adorned in island vibes; Sandals, never flip flops. My Gaga, affectionately, a grandmother portraying charm I’ve chased all my life. Remembering; religiously she brought us meandering down here. Leaving my Papa parked in the pews of the Episcopal church on Truman, he’d migrate to the top of the LaConcha. What a perch to feel free upon with depth, salt air. Retrieval meant Cuban coffee at the laundromat. Seeing now, a wink, a smile, nodding approval of our shopping spree. Combing racks