Skip to main content

Polygala rugelii

On my afternoon walks I came across this flower and couldn't help but stop and admire the beauty. The species is endemic to Florida which is a plus for me. I advocate for native planting and this specimen sure does light up a landscape.



Yellow Milkwort. I took this photo of them all growing in a shallow swell in a Pine Flatwoods preserve, Indrio Savannahs, in St. Lucie, Fl. 
 Also known as Rugel's Milkwort. You can find this flower almost anywhere in the state. 
 Formally known as Polygala rugelii
The story goes that the milkwort name comes from it's presence in cow fields. It was believed to help them produce more milk! The name rugelii comes from Dr. Ferdinand Rugel, a Bristish botanist and physician who admired wildflowers too.

Source:
http://floridawildflowerfoundation.blogspot.com/2015/07/yellow-milkwort.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Homage To My Faded Past

"My Gaga's Lignum Vitae Tree in bloom, Long Key, FL" Midnight crawling, whiskey on my breath;Simonton intersects Duval to wait on a cab. Rhythms mingle, passing each soulful drunken bar while my eyes linger. Flung back, a 15 me sees the fabrics factory, a white boat of a Cadillac, and cassette tapes for crusin. A woman: 80’s tortoise sunglasses, freckled skin, a grin; hair windswept, an auburn caramel; Shorts fitted an hourglass figure; Blouse adorned in island vibes; Sandals, never flip flops. My Gaga, affectionately, a grandmother portraying charm I’ve chased all my life. Remembering; religiously she brought us meandering down here. Leaving my Papa parked in the pews of the Episcopal church on Truman, he’d migrate to the top of the LaConcha. What a perch to feel free upon with depth, salt air. Retrieval meant Cuban coffee at the laundromat. Seeing now, a wink, a smile, nodding approval of our shopping spree. Combing racks