Skip to main content

Bird Journal & Sightings


My mind classifies hammocks as low, earthy, dense with the smell of fresh rain or dried grasses. This particular hammock though sticks in my mind with a smell akin to my grandfather's workshop: sappy Pine. The freshness from the hot Florida heat slightly crisps the outer bark of looming Pines to release this fragrant note. Crunch beneath my feet reinforce the presence of scattered cones along the path and nettles that have dropped for months on end. Blackroot have sprouted from recent patches of burn highlighted by the celestial swaths of sun gleaming through the trees.


 Previous trips led me towards the left off towards the edge of spanning pasture and grasses with random Oak stands making home to Blue Gray Gnatcatchers, White Eyed Vireo, and Eastern Phoebe. This particular day the sun was high above the clouds with piercing accuracy. I fled towards the right in refuge of more mossy dense Oak hammocks. Small vegetation corralled twin Oaks, their branches arched towards one another. Their entanglement provided a stage for the birds.
"Black and White Warbler"
First to appear was the Black and White Warbler a dapper gentleman in his manners displaying his efforts inching along the bark.Stage right was the Blue Headed Viero briefly poking his head around the Spanish moss to reveal his spectacles. Time elapsed with great pause when suddenly a twitch of black flashes by my field of vision. I swung my enhanced eyes to my brow enlarging upon the orange on it's wings. An American Redstart, swift and agile in this brush fascinated my senses until another elusively approached stage left. Noise averted my attention and jeweled plumage captured my sight. A Black Throated Blue perched delicately admiring the setting while preening its feathers in a showy manner lingered for some time before camouflaging himself out of view once more.
"American Redstart"
"Black Throated Blue"

 By and now stopping to admire the expanse of planted Pine, I waited for breaks in the rushing cars nearby hoping to hear the Vireo sing to me once more. Above my head the bizzy sounds of Northern Parula set upon my ears. Looking towards the tree tops the distinct white belly with yellow bill and legs filled my circular frames. In silence, I waited for the rustling of underbrush to see the Ovenbird foraging for insects. His bulbous eyes and slight orange crown make characteristic field marks.
"Overnbird"

Heading back I rested beneath the arms of a large Oak with Spanish moss delicately hanging above my head. Yellow Throated Vireo ventured my way in the wake of my stillness. I had never been so delighted as to see this species who rarely show themselves except for these quiet still moment alone with yourself and nature.
Image result for yellow throated vireo
 The peak of Spring migration will always bring me to Hickory Hammock and the chance to see someone new will keep me coming back for more. 
 Written by Julia Wiggins 

 Sources: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Blue-headed_Vireo/id https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Redstart/id https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Black-throated_Blue_Warbler/id https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Ovenbird/id https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Yellow-throated_Vireo/id https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Black-and-white_Warbler/id https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Yellow-throated_Vireo_by_Dan_Pancamo_1.jpg
Written by Julia Wiggins





Sources:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Homage To My Faded Past

"My Gaga's Lignum Vitae Tree in bloom, Long Key, FL" Midnight crawling, whiskey on my breath;Simonton intersects Duval to wait on a cab. Rhythms mingle, passing each soulful drunken bar while my eyes linger. Flung back, a 15 me sees the fabrics factory, a white boat of a Cadillac, and cassette tapes for crusin. A woman: 80’s tortoise sunglasses, freckled skin, a grin; hair windswept, an auburn caramel; Shorts fitted an hourglass figure; Blouse adorned in island vibes; Sandals, never flip flops. My Gaga, affectionately, a grandmother portraying charm I’ve chased all my life. Remembering; religiously she brought us meandering down here. Leaving my Papa parked in the pews of the Episcopal church on Truman, he’d migrate to the top of the LaConcha. What a perch to feel free upon with depth, salt air. Retrieval meant Cuban coffee at the laundromat. Seeing now, a wink, a smile, nodding approval of our shopping spree. Combing racks